Lazareni is a community in Northwestern Romania with a population of around 3000. Within Lazareni there is a large Roma Gypsy Community.
The current employment status of the community is 2% leaving 98% of its members unemployed. The Roma Gypsy children were originally being educated through a private school. This school was closed in 2010 due to a governmental/EU decision to integrate the Roma children into state schools to help reduce discrimination and achieve better harmony. Unfortunately, this decision has had a negative impact on the Roma Gypsy children who face resentment from the local non-Roma children resulting in a 50% reduction of school attendance.